[Openswan Users] Easy Routing Question

Jae Chang jc-openswan at jline.com
Mon May 14 13:24:33 EDT 2007

I am converting an old freeswan gateway to openswan. I ran into this
issue, which is different between the 2 versions.

The gateway's local interface: 10.20.108.0/24

An ipsec tunnel is configured with rightsubnet=10.0.0.0/8 (corporate
network).

Freeswan worked the way you would expect. Send all local traffic to the
local interface. Everything else with a private ip 10.x.y.z., send thru
the tunnel.

Surprisingly, Openswan is now sending all traffic to the local network,
thru the secure tunnel! The local network does not seem to have
priority, in this case.

If i do "% ip route", it shows the local network with higher priority
than the secure tunnel. I can't understand why this would not work the
way you would expect? Is there something I am missing with Openswan?

Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Jae