[Openswan Users] Any openswan experts in the house??!!!

Peter Njiiri pnjiiri at novell.ae
Wed May 9 14:54:52 EDT 2007

Hi
I'm having a problem trying to configure openswan (IPSec) on my linux
box. The scenario is this

10.0.0.1 ------------->   10.0.0.23<-->81.32.32.21 ---> Internet  <----->    roadwarrior
VPN Gateway              Gateway performs NAT                                   (Windows/Linux)
Linux box                             Linux Box
single nic                            two nics

I'm trying to connect my roadwarrior to VPN Gateway. My ipsec.conf is
as follows:

# basic configuration
config setup
nat_traversal=yes
strictcrlpolicy=no

# default settings for connections
conn %default
leftrsasigkey=%cert
rightrsasigkey=%cert

# OE policy groups are disabled by default
conn block
auto=ignore

conn clear
auto=ignore

conn private
auto=ignore

conn private-or-clear
auto=ignore

conn clear-or-private
auto=ignore

conn packetdefault
auto=ignore

conn l2tp-cert-orgWIN2KXP

authby=rsasig
pfs=no
auto=add
rekey=no
left=%defaultroute
leftprotoport=17/1701
leftrsasigkey=%cert
leftcert=/etc/ipsec.d/certs/x.pem
right=%any
rightca=%same
rightrsasigkey=%cert
rightprotoport=17/%any

conn roadwarrior
authby=rsasig
auto=add
esp=aes,3des
left=%defaultroute
leftcert=/etc/ipsec.d/certs/x.pem
leftid="C=X,ST=X,L=X,O=X,OU=X,CN=X,emailAddress=X"
leftrsasigkey=%cert
pfs=yes
rightrsasigkey=%cert
right=%any

client side (roadwarrior Windows machine as per this link: http://www.natecarlson.com/linux/ipsec-x509.php#clientwin)

conn roadwarrior
	left=%any
	right=220.xxx.xxx.xxx (roadwarrior IP)
	rightca=C=X, S=X, L=X, O=X, OU=X, CN=X, E=X
	network=auto
	auto=start
	pfs=no

client side (roadwarrior on Linux box)
conn roadwarrior
        authby=rsasig
        auto=add
        esp=aes,3des
        keyingtries=3
        left=10.0.0.1
        leftsubnet=10.x.x.x/24
        leftcert=/etc/ipsec.d/certs/xx.pem
        leftid="C=X,ST=X,L=X,O=X,OU=X,CN=X,emailAddress=X"
        leftrsasigkey=%cert
        leftnexthop=10.0.0.23
        pfs=yes
        rightrsasigkey=%cert
        right=%defaultroute
        rightcert=/etc/ipsec.d/certs/xx2.pem

I've generated and imported the client certificate on the roadwarriors. IPSec is running on both client and server, the only thing is that a ping request comes in with 100% loss. Server side doesn't show client connections for both. So the question is,is my VPN setup (shown above) correct?? Should I set up VPN on the Gateway Linux box (with 2 nics,connecting external and internal clients)?? is the left and right IP's internal or external(Internet) IP's? What is wrong with my configuration???Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Peter