[Openswan Users] openswan and sonicwall

Andy Gay andy at andynet.net
Wed May 2 16:36:24 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 13:10 -0700, Gary W. Smith wrote:
> > Every time I've seen this message, it's been caused by a PSK mismatch.
> > Double-check your secrets file. If you have multiple entries in there,
> > you need to be sure the right one is being selected.
> >

> Andy,
>
> That makes sense.  I have checked and it matches but the production key
> has a "!" in it.  Is there a character limitation to the PSK?

As long as you put double-quotes around it you should be OK. According
to the ipsec.conf manpage, the only characters that can't be used are
newline and double-quote:

  "A preshared secret is most conveniently represented as a sequence of
  characters, delimited by the double-quote character ("). The sequence
  cannot contain a newline  or  double-quote."

In fact, I just checked my secrets file, I have several that include a
"!" character.

But if you have access to configure both ends, you may want to try with
something real simple as a test.