[Openswan Users] Problem with forceencaps

steve.morard at epfl.ch steve.morard at epfl.ch
Tue May 1 04:04:44 EDT 2007

In fact, I'm wondering if the UDP encapsulation is negotiated with IKE. In this
case, it could be that the remote gateway to which I want to connect doesn't
support UDP encapsulation.

Here is my ipsec.conf:

version 2.0

config setup
	nat_traversal=yes
	plutodebug=all
	plutostderrlog=/etc/ipsec.err

conn toFT

	type=tunnel
	forceencaps=yes
	# Left security gateway, subnet behind it, next hop toward right.
	left=172.18.112.7
	leftsubnet=172.25.8.8/29
	leftsourceip=172.25.8.8
	leftnexthop=%defaultroute
	# Right security gateway, subnet behind it, next hop toward left.
	right=x.x.x.x
	rightsubnet=172.20.210.48/29
	# To authorize this connection, but not actually start it, at startup,
	# uncomment this.
	auto=add
	aggrmode=no
	pfs=yes
	authby=secret
	keyexchange=ike
	ikelifetime=1d
	keylife=1h
	#esp=aes128-md5,aes128-sha1
	ike=aes128-sha1,aes128-md5
	esp=aes128-md5,aes128-sha1

#Disable Opportunistic Encryption
include /etc/ipsec.d/examples/no_oe.conf

This configuration (without forceencaps=yes) allows me to negotiate the SAs and
I'm able to use the IPSec tunnel to send packets. The problem is that the
firewall blocks the replies from the remote gateway. This is why I would like
to use UDP encapsulation.

Thank you