[Openswan Users] [Openswan dev] trying to configure XAUTH as replacement for working Cisco VPN Client

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Mar 27 01:59:40 EDT 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, David Lawless wrote:

> Thank you for your reply.
>
> Have no control over the Cisco server side, so can't
> switch to L2TP.
>
> It seems probable I want to be the xauth client.  Would
> it help to attempt to be the server?  The other end is
> a hardware Cisco VPN firewall.

Ohh. I completely misunderstaood you. I thought you were trying to
connect a laptop to your home router

> I can look into building the latest Openswan version for OpenWrt
> on a MIPS CPU, but it could be a lot of work.  Perhaps could
> convince the OpenWrt developers to try it or pull a release from
> their current development build.  Is this the best approach?

That would be best. The only pending issues for openswan 2.4.8, why
it is still rc1, has to do with 2.6.19+ kernels, while openwrt for
the linksys at least, uses a 2.4 kernel.

If you are convincing them of things, have them switch from l2tpd 0.69
to xl2tpd 1.1.09 would also be a good thing :)