[Openswan Users] traffic only being encrypted one way

Harald Scharf h.scharf at nestec.at
Sat Mar 17 04:04:56 EDT 2007

Hello, Bob

my question: do you have a POSTROUTING NAT rule in your config?
i had the same problem with a 2.6.19.1 kernel.

i had a supernet nat rule, becaue of 3 192.168.X.X/24 subnets and made
a POSTROUTING NAT from 192.168.0.0/16 -> official IP.
The VPN did not work, since I made a

POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/16 -d ! [REMOTE-IP-NET],
(important : the exclamation mark)

so, what I did, is to exclude the the remote Subnet from my source NAT.
When i do not so, the traffic leaves the local box unencrypted,
and i is routed straight to the internet.

I think, there was i change in one of the 2.6 kernels with NAT and NETKEY.

king regards

Harald

  _____