[Openswan Users] MTU again (netkey fragmentation)

Cameron Davidson cam73 at aanet.com.au
Wed Mar 14 08:39:36 EDT 2007

Harald Scharf wrote:
> Hi, Paul and List,
>
> now i am some stepps nearer to the solution.
> I can reproduce the problem with the following setup:
>
> RDP-Server--NAT BOX--VPN-BOX---------VPN-BOX-----RDP Client
>
> The NAT Box is for hiding the real RDP Server to the VPN Network.
> If I try to connect to the RDP Server, I only get the blue desktop,
> but no login.

I had not understood this arrangement before.
The large packets will first come from the RDP server. Therefore the
routing code on the openswan box at the server end is responsible for
sending icmp frag meeded messages back to the server. The RDP server is
then responsible for sending smaller packets.
Did you set the path-specific MTU at both ends? If you only set it at
the rdp client end then it would not work.

What is the NAT box? does it pass the icmp packets back to the server
properly?  In situations like these, packet sniffing on all machines is
very useful.

Can you try something first without the extra NAT complication?
Put a temperary server (or just an XP pro machine) on the left vpn subnet.