[Openswan Users] Problem with securing l2tpd (NETKEY 2.6)

Gbenga stjames08 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 14 20:24:15 EDT 2007

> Include this in your /etc/xl2tpd/xl2tpd.conf file. That will make
> l2tp daemon listen on your internal ip. Make sure to restart your l2tpd service.

> [global]
> listen-addr = [internal ip]

>This would work if it was KLIPS. I have been struggling with it for days
>but couldn't make it work with NAT-T (module was crashing - couldn't find
>any solution) so I've switched to NETKEY. The problem is, that there's
>no ipsec interface anymore so I can't redirect traffic from tunnel
>to l2tpd listening on internal interface.

No, not really. I have: sudo ipsec --version  Linux Openswan U2.4.7/K2.6.18 (netkey) with xl2tpd-1.1.05. Running fine, I have no problem at all with it. And xfrm is not related to selinux either, it is kernel hook for ipsec. I have the same setup as you; single interface openswan/xl2tp.

Have you got pass IPSec SA? If you have then your xl2tp.conf need to examined properly. Post it here and you might get some help

>The other thing I've found in kernel is:

>XFRM (IPSec) Networking Security Hooks

>As far as I know it's SELinux related - I've no experience with it.
>Looked for some documentation on that topic but couldn't find
anything.

Greetings,
adrian at ima.pl
Adrian Gruntkowski

Users at openswan.org
Building and Integrating Virtual Private Networks with Openswan: