[Openswan Users] ipsec no response

Rick Knight rick_knight at rlknight.com
Wed Jun 13 17:07:09 EDT 2007

Hello list.

I'm new here and new to Openswan.

I'm trying to start a VPN tunnel from my notebook PC at home to my
office network. At the office we have a SonicWall 3060 enhanced firewall
with GroupVPN enabled. The VPN works well with Windows XP / 2000
clients. I want to be able to connect from my Linux notebook (Kubuntu
Feisty Fawn (7.04)). I've read through the docs at Openswan and at
SonicWall, but I still cannot get things to work. I can start ipsec and
I can add connections, but when I try to connect I get nothing. By that
I mean when I issue the command "$ sudo ipsec auto --up group" I get
prompted for my sudo password, I enter that and hit return and then
nothing. No indication that anything is happening. Absolutely no
feedback at all. If I do $ ps at another term windows I can see that
whack is running. If I monitor my firewall I see no attempt from the
ipsec to make any connection to the host. Can someone help with this? I
am attaching copies of my ipsec.conf and ipsec.secrets (de-personalized
of course).

Thanks,
Rick Knight