[Openswan Users] openswan Side to Side config

Peter McGill petermcgill at goco.net
Mon Jun 11 09:26:21 EDT 2007

I would say your on the right track with this.
You should set these to match the timeouts given:
ikelifetime=24.0m
keylife=1.0h
You could also add these to the conn:
ike=3des-md5-modp1024
aggrmode=no
If you have rightsubnet = right, then you can only communicate with the
Foreign router, and not the network beyond it, you'll probably need to
Put their subnet info in rightsubnet.
If you have six public ip's, then you should probably have a leftsubnet of /29.
Ie) If 66.232.119.1 - 6, then 66.232.119.0/29,
or 66.232.119.33 - 38 then 66.232.119.32/29, etc...
You may need an intefaces line for ip alias used for ipsec, if using klips.
Netkey should ingnore the setting so it should be safe to set either way.
ipsec --version will tell you which your using.
config setup
        interfaces="ipsec0=eth0:1"

You secrets file should look like this:

Lastly don't forget to setup firewall (iptables) rules to allow both the ipsec and tunneled traffic.