[Openswan Users] Does anyone have experienced on windows vista with openswan

Jacco de Leeuw jacco2 at dds.nl
Thu Jan 25 05:13:56 EST 2007

mix wrote:

> Does anyone have experienced on *windows vista* with *openswan* that
> using IPSec with *preshare key*.

It works but I've tested it only with L2TP/IPsec:
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/vista-openswan.html

The IPsec underpinning have changed somewhat in Vista. Due to a general
lack of information I have not been able to get plain IPsec (i.e.
without L2TP) working.

By the way, Microsoft has decided to come up with yet another VPN protocol
for Vista SP1. It's called SSTP and it's basically PPP encapsulated in HTTPS.
That will surely help to get around those pesky firewalls... :-/

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9008679
http://blogs.technet.com/rrasblog/archive/2007/01/10/how-sstp-based-vpn-connection-works.aspx

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl