[Openswan Users] Linux Client and routing

Alexandre Ghisoli alexandre.ghisoli at ycom.ch
Thu Jan 4 19:01:03 EST 2007

Hello there,

I've few OpenSWAN VPN gateways with dual network interfaces (one is
Internet, one is internal) running linux 2.6.19, NETKEY.

I've setup L2TP / IPSec for roadwarriors, using X.509 certificates for
security and then username / password for the L2TP.
This works well for Windows users, they get internal IP adresses.

Now come the Linux Roadwarriors .. and this cause more troubles.
I was investingating the L2TP way also, but seems too complicated for
clients with low knowledge.

So, with a regular IPsec tunnel, it's easy to setup a tunnel, but I
cannot contact company lans, because  packets come from my notebook home
lan (private 192.168, like 99% of the cases).

Then, I'm trying now NAT rules on my VPN gateway box, but this is not
working very well.

Any suggestion / Ideas ?

Oh, also I'll add MacOS clients very soon too, the solution must be on
gateway side, since I'm not familar with MacOS setups.

Thanks for your time

--Alexandre