[Openswan Users] Linux L2TP client behind NAT

Gbenga stjames08 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 19 20:10:46 EDT 2007

Thank you very much Jacco. You are absolutely correct. I changed the lns address in the xl2tpd.conf to the public address and it worked.

I should have thought about that, but then since the ipsec is set up already I thought there is a link to the inside network.

I commented out the virtual_private="" as well.

Best Regards,
Gbenga

Gbenga wrote:

> I have a linux l2tp client with Openswan 2.4.9 that need to connect another
> Openswan 2.4.7 VPN/L2TP server.

> virtual_private=%v4:10.0.0.0/8,%v4:192.168.0.0/16,%v4:172.16.0.0/12

Hm, I don't remember if the local and/or remote subnets have to be
excluded in the virtual_private parameter on the Linux client.
We'll find out later :-)

>         right=193.x.x.x
>         rightprotoport=17/%any

Use rightprotoport=17/1701 here.

>         rekey=no

That's a mistake on my part. Should be rekey=yes for the client
(the server has rekey=no).

>         pfs=yes

Good :-). The server has pfs=no but they will negotiate PFS anyway.

> [lac vpnx]
> lns = 10.10.1.57

This should be the same public IP address as specified in ipsec.conf
with the right= parameter. I.e. lns = 193.x.x.x
Sorry if that wasn't clear enough.

Jacco
Jacco de Leeuw                         mailto:jacco2 at dds.nl