[Openswan Users] General VPN issues concerning dropped tunnels

Sean Waite swaite at sbn-services.com
Sat Apr 28 21:32:10 EDT 2007

At the moment I have a VPN between a Cisco PIX (v6.3.5) and Endian Firewall
(IPCop branch). This is the fourth VPN I have run, the previous being
m0n0wall and pFsense, and an earlier version of Endian. A common problem
between all of them has been random drops in the VPN. While everywhere I
look the tunnel shows to be active, in fact no data crosses over. The first
VPN I ever did with non Cisco equip was with m0n0wall, that did remain
pretty stable, only occasionally dropping. The next pFsense last about 5-10
minutes and then all traffic would cease, although both the PIX and pFsense
reported the tunnel as active. A week ago I got so frustrated with Endian
being so unreliable I went back and tried pFsense and m0n0wall again, with
no luck. I went and re-installed Endian, and very strangely the VPN has been
up now for a week without any interruptions. Yet I am basically using the
same config. In fact I have hardly changed anything on the PIX side except
for my IP address

As I am not very knowledgeable about IPSEC VPNs, I am curious to know what
are the common causes I may have been experienced. In other words what is
generally the problem to look at? I found personally the BSD logs of pfSense
and m0n0wall to be useless to me at least, while the Linux ones
unfortunately logged everything but the problems.

Sean Waite