[Openswan Users] OpenSwan 3.0.xx on RHEL5 2.6.18

Horan, Karl karl.horan at intel.com
Wed Apr 25 10:09:36 EDT 2007

Hi,

I managed to build and configure OpenSwan 2.4.7 successfully on RHEL5
but when I try to do the same with OpenSwan3.0.06 I got a list of errors
when I try to start ipsec (service ipsec start).

I know that openSwan 3.0.xx is unstable but should it be possible to at
least do some basic operations or should I just stay clear of it?

Is there any time line when a stable version of OpenSwan 3.0.xx is
expected to be available to users?

The following commands are what I call to build and run 3.0.06 "make
programs", "make install", "service ipsec start".

root at localhost openswan-3.0.06]# service ipsec start

ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec 3.0.06GITGITGIT...

ipsec_setup: calcgoo: warning: 2.6 kernel with kallsyms not supported
yet

ipsec_setup: insmod
/lib/modules/2.6.18-8.el5/kernel/drivers/crypto/padlock.ko

ipsec_setup: FATAL: Error inserting padlock
(/lib/modules/2.6.18-8.el5/kernel/drivers/crypto/padlock.ko): No such
device

ipsec_setup: FATAL: Module ipsec not found.

ipsec_setup: kernel appears to lack IPsec support (neither CONFIG_KLIPS
or CONFIG_NET_KEY are set)

Regards,

Karl.