[Openswan Users] Help for configuration

steve.morard at epfl.ch steve.morard at epfl.ch
Tue Apr 24 07:39:32 EDT 2007

Hello,

Thank you for your quick answer to my question. I'll clarify what my situation
is.

I'm in a private network with a pole of adresses 172.18.112.0/20 and with a
public address X and my address in this private network being Z. What I need to
do, is to establish a VPN with a gateway which has public address Y and in the
LAN a private address 172.20.211.45 (172.20.211.43/29).
I got a pole of addresses: 172.25.8.8/29 and the pre-shared secret.
I consider that I'm the left part of the VPN.

So here is my configuration:

I entered in ipsec.secret:

Z Y : PSK "secret"

I'm not sure whether I have to put the public address of my LAN or if I should
put my private address Z.

Then the content of ipsec.conf is:

version	2.0	# conforms to second version of ipsec.conf specification

# basic configuration
config setup
	# Debug-logging controls:  "none" for (almost) none, "all" for lots.
	# klipsdebug=all
	# plutodebug=dns

# Add connections here.

# sample VPN connection
	conn sample
	# Left security gateway, subnet behind it, next hop toward right.
		left=172.25.8.8
		leftsubnet=172.25.8.8/29
		#leftnexthop=%defaultroute
		# Right security gateway, subnet behind it, next hop toward left.
		right=Y
		rightsubnet=172.20.211.43/29
		#rightnexthop=%defaultroute
		keyexchange=ike
		authby=secret
		# To authorize this connection, but not actually start it, at startup,
		# uncomment this.
		#auto=start

I'll only have access tomorrow to the remote gateway, but I'd like to know if
you see something wrong in my configuration, before I test it.

Thank you for you help