[Openswan Users] best cofig for Windows 2003

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Apr 17 22:24:05 EDT 2007

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Remigiusz Stachura wrote:

> My question is because of troubles with lost connection (there is no
> route to windows server - I cannot successfully ping the Windows host
> until I restart OpenSwan). Both of servers have static IP. Only Linux
> sent files.
>
> For Windows 2003 server default settings are:
> IKE SA - master key lifetime: 8 hours,
> IPSEC SA - session key lifetime: 1 hour or 100 MB;
> For Openswan:
> IKE SA - master key lifetime: 1 hour, max 8 hours,
> IPSEC SA - session key lifetime: 8 hour, max 24 hours.
> Am I correct?

Yes. You can try and match the lifetimes using lifetime= and ipseclifetime=

> I think that in case of using defaults settings I am experiencing
> situation where Openswan has only Quick Mode established without Main
> Mode.

"quick mode without main mode" is really what people call "Rekeying".

> conn host-to-host
>  type=transport
>  authby=secret
>  pfs=no
>  rekey=yes
>  failureshunt=passthrough

this is risky, you'll be leaking cleartext if your tunnel goes down.

>  keyingtries=5
>  left=xx.xx.xx.xx
>  right=yy.yy.yy.yy
>  ikelifetime=8h
>  keylife=1h

So swap these two i guess.

Check wether windows fails as Initiator on rekey, or as Responder on
rekey, and then match the lifetimes to ensure it stays the Initiator,
or the Responder.