[Openswan Users] Automatic DNS?

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Sun Apr 1 23:43:34 EDT 2007

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007, Dan Meiron wrote:

> So this brings me to my (perhaps stupid) question. Is there a way to tell
> Openswan to use the built-in DNS server on the Linksys when the tunnel comes
> up?

You could edit the _updown script that is called to do something with
/etc/resolv.conf.

l2tpd has options it can pass to use another nameserver, but standard IPsec
does not have this. When using XAUTH/ModeConfig, you might be able to pass
such an option, but I don't think openswan supports this.

> I ask this because for example the Green Bow VPN client has an entry for this
> information and so on Windows can provide the information when the tunnel is
> created.

Its a good idea, but we have not implemented this yet.