[Openswan Users] NEWBIE: How to set-up a L2TP/IPSEC server for linux

Giovani Moda - MR Informática giovani at mrinformatica.com.br
Thu Sep 21 11:37:43 EDT 2006

> Can anyone give me list of the best RPM's version combination for the
> following Linux Distributions, which install without errors?

I currently have this setup with FC4, kernel 2.6.17, l2tpd from fedora
extras and ppp from fedora. I'ts ppp-2.4.2 but you won't need any of the
ppp-2.4.3 resources for this setup. I don't know about FC5, but it should be
the same.

Just rebuild you kernel with NAT-T patch and use KLIPS instead of NETKEY
(some people have reported failures with NETKEY and kernels above 2.6.15).
I've tested openswan-2.4.5 and 2.4.6. Both do the job well.

I didn't need to set my external interface MTU to 1492. What I did need was
to set l2tpd MTU and MRU to 1360.

Giovani