[Openswan Users] openswan-2.4.4-1

Andy Gay andy at andynet.net
Fri Sep 1 01:51:53 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 10:45 +0530, Er. Gurvinder Singhj wrote:
> hi
>
> i have openswan-2.4.4-1 vpn between my debian and redhat server . its works
> fine when get up but the problem which i am facing is that ,  when i up the
> connection from one side it starting working and when i try to up the
> connection from the other side, i received this message -
>
> Aug 25 17:57:56 node252 pluto[10895]: "bbbb" #8: ERROR: asynchronous network
> error reporton eth0 (sport=500) for message to 10.10.10.101 port 500,
> complainant 10.10.10.101: Connection refused [errno 111, origin ICMP type 3
> code 3 (not authenticated)]
>

> can anyone tell me the reason why i am receiving this error message and how to
> correct it.

10.10.10.101 is refusing to allow the inbound connection to UDP port
500, that's for the IKE exchange. That connection should be accepted by
the pluto daemon.

Two possible reasons -
 - nothing is listening for connections. Since it works the other way,
presumably pluto is running. Check with 'netstat -anpu' to verify that
it's listening on the correct interface.

 - more likely, you have iptables configured to block incoming
connections to that port. Make sure you're permitting udp port 500 in
your INPUT chain.