[Openswan Users] newbie troubles

Dan Meiron dim at caltech.edu
Sat Oct 28 00:17:34 EDT 2006

I've been trying to connect my laptop to my linksys vpn router with little
success.

I can bring up ipsec (using the Openswan rpm for Suse 10.1)  properly (I do
not bring up racoon). My ipsec.conf is below

version 2

config setup
    interfaces=%defaultroute
    klipsdebug=none
    plutodebug=none

conn %default
    authby=rsasig
    leftrsasigkey=
    rightrsasigkey =
    left=%defaultroute
    keyingtries=1
    #keylife=1200s
    #ikelifetime=1200s

conn meiron-office
    left=%defaultroute
    leftid = @laptop.danster.com
    right=xx.xx.xx.xx
    rightsubnet=10.128.205.0/24
    authby=secret
    auto=add

There is an ipsec.secrets file that looks like

xx.xx.xx.xx %any : PSK "1234"

But when I try to initiate the tunnel I get

meiron-laptop:/etc # ipsec auto --up meiron-office
104 "meiron-office" #2: STATE_MAIN_I1: initiate
010 "meiron-office" #2: STATE_MAIN_I1: retransmission; will wait 20s for
response
010 "meiron-office" #2: STATE_MAIN_I1: retransmission; will wait 40s for
response

etc - I believed the firewall is letting the packets out but there is no
response from my linksys router. Anyone have experience with the right
settings for road warriors using linksys vpn routers?

thanks in advance - Dan