[Openswan Users] OpenSwan in UML

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Oct 26 18:35:09 EDT 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Jax wrote:

> You were right, now everything works fine. However I read the performance part
> of the book after I tried this uml image on 2 machine.
> On a 2200 Athlon the max trhroughput was around 2 mbit/s, I think the uml
> generate some overhead (all machine with skas+bb kernel pairs of course).
I thought the newer umls no longer need or required the skas patches?

> -in windows ipsec options there is a "LCP extensions" checkbox, but it doesn't
> change anything when I swtich on or off so what is this?

Extra options that are not supported by (x)l2tpd and/or pppd.

> -in uml 1 interesting problem left, but it's hard to explain

> "ipsec__plutorun: ipsec_auto: fatal error in "l2tp-psk-orgWIN2KXP":
> %defaultroute requested but not known"

> Anyway the "%defaultroute requested" always in the log. It's obvious I don't
> want to setup any default route for the 172.16.5.0 network which only for the
> roadwarriors.

Then you should not use left=%defaultroute, but specify left's IP address, and
perhaps leftnexthop=.

> -the last issue with uml (and I think this isn't  depend on hardware because I
> tried on both host), sometimes the connection freeze for 10-30 sec and I think
> this is connect to the previous routing error

I do not know what oculd be causing that. You will have to investigate
further and see if you can find more symptoms or reasons.