[Openswan Users] win mobile 5.0 to openswan

Eray Aslan eray.aslan at caf.com.tr
Fri Oct 20 04:00:49 EDT 2006

On Fri, October 20, 2006 12:21 am, Jacco de Leeuw wrote:

> Hi Eray,
>
>> However, any traffic from PDAs gets transmitted with
>> wireless IP address and are thus getting rejected.  I cannot get the
>> PDAs
>> to use the VPN for their communication to openswan server.
>
> Did you manage to resolve this problem? I could not respond to your
> e-mail because the Windows Mobile 5.0 emulator did not work on
> my PC. But now I have upgraded to a faster processor and I installed
> version 2.0 beta of the emulator so I finally got a successful connection.

Yes kind of.  Details below.

>> Perhaps, setting VPN IP address as the default route will solve the
>> problem.  But I am not sure how to do that with WinMobile.
>
> If you use 'defaultroute' in your pppd settings the client will
> use the VPN server for its default gateway.

It doesn't in my case.  I had to change the settings in Start -> Settings
-> Connections -> Advanced -> Exceptions and add *.com *.net etc via the
Add New URL button so that my PDA would use the VPN for accessing the
internet.  Adding *.* instead of *.com and friends should work as well but
a quirk in my PDA prevents that.  But I have seen others use *.*
successfully.

> You do need to enable IP forwarding.

Yes of course.

Basically, I can use the wireless network and VPN at work to access the
internet.  I have to change the Exceptions tab described above when I am
not at work and want to access the internet via GPRS or EDGE.

As far as I can see, there is nothing wrong on the openswan side.  It
works admirably.

--
Eray