[Openswan Users] ipsec manual: fatal error in "vpn_manual": no IPsec-enabled interfaces found

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Oct 19 01:35:30 EDT 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, sreenivasulu kesineni wrote:

>     I am trying to test manual tunnel configuration on Fedora core 5 and I
> am getting  following error message when I the start tunnel
>
> [root at localhost npg]# ipsec manual --up vpn_manual
> ipsec manual: fatal error in "vpn_manual": no IPsec-enabled interfaces found

I guess that is a bug. Apparently manual mode depends on some KLIPS assumptions.
I'll file a bug report on this, but it won't be high on our list of things to
fix.

Why are you using manual mode? Is it more difficult to setup and inheritantly
insecure if left running (eg take in production).

You can try a workaround:

	interfaces="ipsec0=eth0"

It will be ignored by the regular code that sees NETKEY, perhaps it will fool
whatever manual mode is expecting.