[Openswan Users] openswan + l2tpd + iptables problem

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Wed Oct 18 13:48:30 EDT 2006

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Brett Curtis wrote:

> Guys I replied to this thread back when it was first posted.
>
> I am wondering if someone could explain why the mark of port 4500 is now needed?

A change in how nat-t with netkey works?

> Before x_tables was introduced in the kernel marking proto 50 worked
> for both NAT and non-NAT.

Perhaps the decapsulation of udp 4500 packets into esp packets is now happening
differently?

> Was there a change in the way ESP match works?

since nat-t with netkey broke on 2.6.17 and 2.6.18 and got fixed in 2.6.18.1,
I'd say "probably".

> Are there risks in matching port 4500 and allowing in?

No. It's all past the DH exchange, so any bogus packet will just get discarded
without being read.