[Openswan Users] openswan + l2tpd + iptables problem

mechanix at debian.org mechanix at debian.org
Tue Oct 17 09:22:59 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Taking up the thread again, since it still does not work...

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 09:18:04AM +0200, mechanix at debian.org wrote:
> [...]

I've taken care of the MTU issues now; and SA negotiation succeeds.

I'm still stuck at l2tp being blocked by the iptables rules however.
I have these rules present:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p ESP -j MARK --set-mark 50
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p IPENCAP -j MARK --set-mark 50
iptables -A INPUT -m mark --mark 50 -p udp --dport 1701 -j ACCEPT

These are all at the very beginning of their respective chains.

Initially I had only the -p ESP mangle rule; but I remembered that I had
IPENCAP traffic hitting the firewall last week before I got SA to work
which I had to unblock back then; so I added a mangle rule for it too.
Also, I tried -t mangle -A INPUT as well but with no success either.

The hosts that have been trying to connect were behing NAT; not sure if
that is part of the problem, but even then we need it to work for these
anyway.

> > > I noticed something else in the log: the gateway appears to be negotiating
> > > the connection twice. I checked, the previous attempts showed the same
> > > symptom.
> > > Is there a way to make it not too? Even if the gateway would receive the
> > > same initiation packet twice?
> >
> > No, because it could be a second client behind the same NAT router IP address.
>
> In this particular case, the client is not even behind NAT.
>
> > I am not sure why your client appears to initiate twice though. What client
> > is this?
>
> Windows XP Pro SP2 (with NAT-T patch), using DUN l2tp connection.
>
> I'm not sure the client _is_ actually initiating twice, though.
> I'm testing from Belgium, with the (faulty) gateway being in Singapore.

I have confirmed that this issue was with the GPRS connection in BE I was
testing from. People testing for me in SG or elsewhere, with a decent
connection, are not causing the double initiation entries.

Regards,

Filip

--
http://slider.rack66.net/~mechanix/blog/