[Openswan Users] Linux 2.6.17 Gentoo and KLIPS

nospam2craig at remex.com.au nospam2craig at remex.com.au
Wed Oct 4 03:11:06 EDT 2006

Hi people,

The beginnings of lack of support for 2.4 kernel have forced us to
consider now going to 2.6. We are about to use openswan on Gentoo with
"kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.17-gentoo-r8" and have turned on the "IPsec user
configuration interface" in the kernel compile, however are having great
difficulty working out how to get it all to work together.

Openswan compiles and we see the following error message when trying to
start up ipsec:

jeffpad1 ~ # /etc/init.d/ipsec restart
 * Starting IPSEC ... ...
ipsec_setup: Starting Openswan IPsec U2.4.4/K2.6.17-gentoo-r8...
ipsec_setup: /usr/lib/ipsec/_realsetup: line 102:
/var/run/pluto/ipsec_setup.pid: No such file or directory
ipsec_setup: ...unable to create /var/run/pluto/ipsec_setup.pid, aborting
start!

I don't think KLIPS is working, however don't know where to start looking
for information. We really need the ipsec0 interface for the VPN traffic
for our traffic measurement system. (or another such interface if things
have changed names)

The following kernel modules have been loaded as per the guide on the
Gentoo documentation site;

Module                  Size  Used by
xfrm_user              16160  0
ipcomp                  5224  0
esp4                    5632  0
ah4                     4576  0
af_key                 25904  0

Any help would be appreciated. Could someone point us in the right
direction?

Many thanks in advance

Craig