[Openswan Users] Openswan fails to start.

Andy Gay andy at andynet.net
Wed Oct 4 00:41:45 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 07:38 +0200, Paul Wouters wrote:

> Indeed. It seems this kernel was lacking CONFIG_XFRM_USER. Unfortunately,
> I know of no way to detect this in userland :(

Run 'ip xfrm state'. If the return code is 0, xfrm_user is available.
If not, it says 'Cannot send dump request: Connection refused' on
stderr, and returns 1.

If it's a module but not yet loaded, the kernel autoloader should load
it when that command is issued, but perhaps it's safest to explicitly
attempt to load it first. Something like

  modprobe xfrm_user >/dev/null 2>&1
  if ip xfrm state >/dev/null 2>&1; then
     .. continue with startup ...
  else
     echo You need a kernel with CONFIG_XFRM_USER to run this
  fi