[Openswan Users] MTU issues with Openswan tunnel

Jett, Nathan NJett at rpmstaff.com
Thu Nov 30 14:24:16 EST 2006

I have several ipsec tunnels to various clients and recently added a new one for a new client.  With this new client's VPN connection, nothing (ie FTP, terminal sevices, etc) seems to work well unless I manually set the MTU value for Openswan to 1400.  However setting the MTU to 1400 screws up my other ipsec tunnels.  Is there a way to set the MTU value for just one tunnel?

The symptoms are very strange.  If I leave the MTU value at the default, I can get one or two terminal sessions via the new tunnel but any additional attempts time out.  If I change it to 1400 the new tunnel works great but my other established tunnels only allow one or two connections.  I have tried values between 1400 and 1500 but have been unable to find any middle ground that works well.

Thanks for your help.

Nathan