[Openswan Users] Basic Openswan question

Ladi mafja at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 28 20:44:14 EST 2006

Hi Paul,

I'm new to IPSec and it's true, i'm a bit confused. I know that IPSec operates on two modes, tunnel and transport mode.

I managed to secure the connection to the terminal server in WinXP -> Win 2k3 server and i didn't have to specify a VPN. In the win2k3 server machine i configure the IPSec policy to receive only IPSec traffic (using certificates) on the TCP port 3389 (for terminal server) for all the connections. And from the client side (Win XP) i specify to use IPSec with certificate for all the traffic going out to TCP 3389. In this way someone can connect to the terminal server from any place and still can connect as far as (s)he has the right certificates. To be honest with you i don't know which mode this is (sorry for my ignorance).

The problem is that this i have to do from linux thin clients as well, and that's why i wanted to use Openswan. But from whatever i red is that there should be two gateways (A and B) connected with the VPN...

Thanks a lot and sorry for the trouble
,Ladi

If you can't be a highway, be a trail. If you can't be the sun, be a star. It is not by size, that you win or fail. Be the best of what you are!