[Openswan Users] Another attempt to get connected to a SonicWALL VPN.

Bas Driessen bas.driessen at xobas.com
Thu Nov 23 18:13:08 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 09:17 -0500, Peter McGill wrote:

> > > This is a configuration error between the two endpoints. You will have to
> > > ask more information from the other end. You can try adding "pfs=no".
> >
> > Does the ike= entry require a modp suffix perhaps? (ie
> > ike=3des-md5-modp1024). If so how would I know which one? I did try the modp1024.
>
> Your probably on the right track, keep the pfs=no, as Paul suggested, it will still accept pfs
> if the other end requests it, but does not require it, so it's the best compatibility mode.
> You could also ask the other admin if he's using it or not. Perfect Forward Secrecy is the
> full name.
> I would also ask the other admin which modp setting he's using, probably called DH
> (or Diffie-Hellman) Group 2 (1024) or 5 (1536), there are other groups, but these two are
> the most common ones implemented and therefore probably best for vendor interrop.
> If he's using Group 1 (768 I think), he'll have to change it, openswan doesn't support it for
> the same reason as Single DES, it's week and insecure.
> You would specify them as you did above, ike=3des-md5-modp1024, or ...-modp1536.

Thanks very much Peter. We may have something here. When I tried to
setup the connection a couple of weeks for the first time, the VPN
server was still set to the old DES algorithm.  I had to recompile
OpenSwan with a WEAK switch (or something like that) to get that to
work. In the end I got it to go past Phase 1 and yes you are right, my
setting then was ike=des-md5-modp768. Since I did not get past phase 2,
I got in contact with this mailing list and most of the responses were
"don't use DES, but 3DES". After that am still  getting nowhere and in
fact don't get past Phase 1 now. I asked the system administrator to
change to 3DES, which he kindly did.  I doubt if he changed the group
and that most likely is the cause.

Which group should I advise him to change to? Group 2 or 5?

Even though OpenSwan does not support DES and Group 1, if I recompile it
again with the "WEAK" switch, will ike=3des-md5-modp768 work? I realize
it is better to change the group, but if for some reason that can
not/will not be done I need an alternative.

Will report back if I hear something. I believe it is the ThanksGiving
holiday weekend in the US, so it may take a couple of days before I get
a response from the sysadmin.

Thanks again,
Bas.