[Openswan Users] Guidance requested for PSK connection ; getting error 789

John Joseph jjk_saji at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 11 05:54:42 EST 2006

--- Jacco de Leeuw <jacco2 at dds.nl> wrote:

> John Joseph wrote:
>
> > I am using PSK keys to authenticate , I am facing
> > some problems in getting the connection
> established ,
> > I feel I had got wrong on "right" "left"
> parameter.
>
> Your lefts/rights are alright.
>
> > virtual_private=%v4:10.0.0.0/8,%v4:172.16.0.0/12
>
> 192.168.x.x subnets are quite common too. You might
> want to add them.
>
> > conn %default
> >         type=tunnel
> >
> > conn l2tp-psk
>
> I believe that starting from Openswan 2.4.5 you need
> type=transport in conn l2tp-psk.

Thanks Jacco
   Now VPN is working
I did the follwing
1> I had to change ipsec.secrets for PSK
 PublicIP  %any : PSK "pkskey"
   to my surprise previous  entry in ipsec.secret
as
   :PSK "pskkey" was not working , I have to give the
IP address and %any

2>  I also had to specify
   leftnexthop

3> I tried with
  type=transport , but it was giving error, I kept it
as type = tunnel

 thanks a Lot
        Joseph John