[Openswan Users] Multiple left=AAA.BBB.CCC.DDD

Laurent CARON lcaron at apartia.fr
Wed May 17 15:51:20 CEST 2006

Radek Antoniuk wrote:
> I have though about this thing as well recently.
> And looking forward to anyone's answer
> The thing that bothers me, is how openswan then should know that for
> instance, the main network link is down and it should use the second ip.
> I mean, let's assume situation that we have 2 WAN connections and one of
> them get's down. And I'd like openswan to switch the tunnel to the
> backup one and then to restore it when it's back again.
> However I'm still not sure if is not supposed to be a function of the
> routing itself.

Ok,

Since i have 2 connections and 2 servers on each i used a simple but
efficient solution.

I did set up heartbeat and openswan on each server just having heartbeat
start & stop a custom script in case of a failure.

A better solution would probably to move to openvpn which integrates
such a failover thing.

Laurent