[Openswan Users]

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu May 11 17:41:06 CEST 2006

On Thu, 11 May 2006, Frank Weis wrote:

> I have an extremely weird problem with IPsec tunnels in Devil-Linux:
>
> I have two sites that are linked LAN-2-LAN by an IPSec tunnel that runs on
> dedicated Linux firewalls.
>
> I have upgraded the two firewalls  from gibraltar
> to Devil-Linux-1.2.9 (Gibraltar had Freeswan 2.0.4, DL has Openswan 2.4.4)
>
> When I try to establish a TCP connection to any windows server (2k, 2k3), the
> server restarts immediately (bluescreen, complaining about TCPIP.SYS error,
> and reboots).

wow. that's pretty bad. Are those machines running with all service packs and
updates installed?

> The crashing can be triggered either by normal windows clients trying to
> connect to the server, or by a linux client that does 'telnet x.y.z.t 25' to
> the server.

Obviously, those servers are in need of fixing, but perhaps as a work around
you can set the mtu on both openswan servers to 1440 or 1400? My guess is
it would be related to mtu/packetsize/df-bit issues.