[Openswan Users] Fedora 5, KLIPS ready?

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue May 9 16:31:18 CEST 2006

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Butler wrote:

> I'm new to openswan, want to ask few questions:
>
> 1. I installed openswan-2.4.4-1.1.2.1 from rpm of FC5 (2.6.15-1.2054_FC5).
> Is it using KLIPS already?

No, it comes with NETKEY. You can recompile the rpm to build KLIPS, but it
will not have NAT-T support in the kernel. You would need to rebuild the
kernel for that too.

> 2. any performance gain with KLIPS?

Probably not.

> 3. I'm running openswan on a dual core CPU machine, however, I found that
> only 1 CPU has 90% load however, other are idle. Is it normal (my max
> throughput is 48MBps) ?

Yes. There is some small tweaking you can do with setting nhelpers= but
it should already spawn one per CPU.

> 4. if the situation in q3 is normal, any other way to improve the
> performance of openswan apart from increase cpu speed?

Crypto hardware acceleration. Work is currently underway to integrate
all the Open(BSD) Cryptographic Framework (OCF) into Openswan.