[Openswan Users] Re: Malformed Payload

Rob Clive rob at r2g2.co.uk
Wed May 3 10:31:20 CEST 2006

> I hate to repost, but I'm really blocked. Has anyone seen an error like
> this?
>
> Could anyone give me a hint as to what causes this error?
003 "netscreen" #1: discarding duplicate packet; already STATE_XAUTH_I1

> 228 "netscreen" #1: STATE_XAUTH_I1: CERTIFICATE_UNAVAILABLE
>
> 003 "netscreen" #1: next payload type of ISAKMP Hash Payload has an unknown
> value: 114
>
> 003 "netscreen" #1: malformed payload in packet
>
> 003 "netscreen" #1: next payload type of ISAKMP Hash Payload has an unknown
> value: 114
>
> 003 "netscreen" #1: malformed payload in packet

As I have found out by bitter experience it means you have a bad/no
certificate so basically the packets are being encrypted with the wrong
key.  (It's unfortunate the error message cannot be more specific.)  Try
reloading your certificate and make sure you have it and the CA stuff in
the right places.  The log suggests pluto can't find them.

Rob Clive
< Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow >