[Openswan Users] DNS for VPN

Christian Brechbühler brechbuehler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 21:31:01 CET 2006

I set up an openswan VPN server, and it accepts clients running Linux
(IPsec) and Windows (PPP over L2TP over IPsec).

Wile connected, clients have access to 10.0.0.* machines, but have to use
numerical addresses.  I'd like to let them use the DNS server
10.0.0.52while connected (
e.g., nameserver.example.com might resolve to 10.0.0.52).
In Linux I can make it work by sticking "nameserver 10.0.0.52" above the
nameserver line entered from DHCP.  But that level of manual intervention is
awkward.  (If VPN is down, every name look up hangs till it times out, about
10s, so I have to take it out.)  And I'd like to make DNS available for
Windows clients too.  I set ms_dns in the ppp configuration file, with no
success.

Is there a better solution?
Thanks

Christian