[Openswan Users] Upgrading openswan 2.4.0 to 2.4.5

Can Akalin canakalin77 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 17:30:03 CET 2006

Hello all,

I use Suse Linux kernel 2.6.13.15, and installed openswan 2.4.0rc.5.
Following Paul's advice, I upgraded from openswan 2.4.0rc5 to the latest
version 2.4.5rc5.

This is how I did;

-I downloaded the tar ball.
- Followed the documention at the openswan web page,

#su
    #mv openswan-2.#.#.tar.gz /usr/src
    #cd /usr/src
    #tar -xzf openswan-2.#.#.tar.gz

and
#cd /usr/src/openswan-2.#.#
    #make programs
    #make install

Later on, I stopped and started the ipsec.

Here is the part that I don't understand;

When I restarted the openswan, (ipsec verify) command showed me that I

 Checking your system to see if IPsec got installed and started correctly:
Version check and ipsec on-path
  [OK]
Linux Openswan U2.4.5rc5/K2.6.13-15-smp (netkey)
Checking for IPsec support in kernel
[OK]
Checking for RSA private key (/etc/ipsec.secrets)                  [OK]

Checking that pluto is running
[OK]
Two or more interfaces found, checking IP forwarding             [OK]
Checking NAT and MASQUERADEing                                 [OK]
Checking for 'ip' command
[OK]
Checking for 'iptables' command
[OK]
Checking for 'curl' command for CRL fetching                        [OK]
Checking for 'setkey' command for NETKEY IPsec stack support            [OK]
Opportunistic Encryption Support
[Disabled]

But when I look at my log file at /var/log/messages, it shows me that I
stopped and started  " Openswan IPSec 2.4.0rc5"

So, did I correctly upgraded the openswan?

Thank you for your time

Can Akalin