[Openswan Users] Simple configuration: ping OK, telnet fails

"Adrián R. Sanchez" adrian_sanchez at actionline.com.ar
Mon Mar 20 14:28:08 CET 2006

> IP routing is set up, and ping works, however telnet doesn't work. Does
> anybody knows what's wrong here?

I had the same problem and found out that it was a fragmentation issue,
which I solved with the following iptables line:

iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --set-mss=1358

This will force packets not to exceed 1358 bytes thus leaving space for
the IPSec overhead and avoiding fragmentation, which might be the cause
of your problem.

--

Adrián R. Sanchez
Dpto. de Tecnología