[Openswan Users] Windows Xp client to openswan

Can Akalin canakalin77 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 12:11:13 CET 2006

Hello,

I'm new at linux and openswan and committed to learn as much as I can learn.

For the future use, I've been testing to make a VPN connection between
openswan 2.4.0, kernel 2.6.13 and mobile WinXP SP2 clients.

I followed Nat Carlson's instructions; I set the CA and created the
certificates and transferred a certificate to a WinXP client. Setting
openswan box and CA at linux  box went smoothly.
But I am lost at the Windows side. I added the certificate to the windows
using MMC, downloaded ipsec.exe and ipseccmd.exe. I typed the ipsec and I
got this error message;

*C:\ipsec>ipsec
IPSec Version 2.2.0 (c) 2001-2003 Marcus Mueller
Getting running Config ...
Microsoft's Windows XP identified
Setting up IPSec ...*

*        Deactivating old policy...
        Removing old policy...*

*Connection roadwarrior:
        MyTunnel     : 192.168.1.63
        MyNet        : 192.168.1.63/255.255.255.255
        PartnerTunnel: 192.168.1.55
        PartnerNet   : 192.168.1.55/255.255.255.255
        CA (ID)      : C=CA,ST=Ontario,L=Toronto,O=Springboard Retail*

*   PFS          : y
        Auto         : start
        Auth.Mode    : MD5
        Rekeying     : 3600S/50000K
Error 0xcbbb0012 occurred:*

*The authentication method specified is invalid or unsupported.*

*POTF_VERSION
USAGE:*

What does "*The authentication method specified is invalid or unsupported"*mean?

here is my ipsec.conf at the windows machine,

*conn roadwarrior
 left=%any
 right=192.168.1.55
 rightca="C=CA,ST=Ontario,L=Toronto,O=Springboard
Retail,CN=can,emailAddress=can at springboardnetworks.com"
 network=auto
 auto=start
 pfs=yes*

*conn roadwarrior-net
 left=%any
 right=192.168.1.55
 rightsubnet=192.168.1.1/24
 rightca="C=CA,ST=Ontario,L=Toronto,O=Springboard Retail,
CN=can,emailAddress=can at springboardnetworks.com"
 network=auto
 auto=start
 pfs=yes*

**

192.168.1.55 is a gateway that has a LAN behind which includes openswan VPN
server and its UDP 500 port open. 192.168.1.63 is WinXP client IP address.

I think my problem is , at least for now, at the windows side.

Can anyone help me to instruct what to do with ipsec.exe, ipsec.conf and
ipseccmd.exe at the windows to get the VPN work?

Thank you very much?

Can Akalin