[Openswan Users] Connection not coming up automatically

Andy fs at globalnetit.com
Tue Jun 27 15:55:51 CEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 09:07 +0200, Marco Berizzi wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
> >Did you try with nhelpers=0 in your ipsec.conf?
>
> Is this safe to set nhelpers=0 on all osw boxes?
IMO, yes.
I run all mine that way.

I'm really not sure how the separate helper process is useful. It
offloads the crypto processing for IKE negotiations, but unless you have
a huge number of connections and a real short rekey interval the IKE
stuff isn't really a significant load. Most crypto work goes on in the
kernel.

And if you do have a huge number of connections (I do) then nhelpers>0
makes pluto unstable. See http://bugs.xelerance.com/view.php?id=305 for
example. That's supposedly fixed, but I'm not so sure - I had similar
problems with later code, I reported those to the developers but didn't
hear any resolution.

With nhelpers=0, I have uptime >6 months on several servers, running
many hundred connections.

--
Andy <fs at globalnetit.com>