[Openswan Users] MTU question

Andy fs at globalnetit.com
Mon Jun 26 12:46:07 CEST 2006

Why change the MTU to 1492?

Probably you have a PMTUD problem - packets will be sent with DF set and
the tunnel needs to fragment, so it tries to send back an ICMP dest
unreachable/frag needed, but that ICMP never reaches the source host.

That can be due to silly firewall rules (make sure you don't block ICMP
anywhere). It can also happen if intermediate routers (between the
Openswan boxes) are originating the ICMP - I posted some stuff about
that a while ago, but didn't get much response. Check the archives for a
subject including PMTUD.

You can often solve pmtud problems using the iptables TCPMSS target
(only works for TCP, but that's fine for RDP & VNC).

Try something like this on the Openswan box at the end that connections
are initiated from:

iptables -A FORWARD -s <source client subnet> -d <dest client subnet> -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1200

if that works, experiment with larger --set-mss to find the largest
value that works for you.

- Andy

Andy <fs at globalnetit.com>