[Openswan Users] Remote Office Advice?

Jeff Frantz jfrantz at itstechnologies.com
Wed Jun 21 18:18:24 CEST 2006

Brett,

I did this exact same thing back in the summer of 2001 using FreeSWAN.
At the time we were using frame-relay for WAN connectivity to 9 offices,
including VoIP.  We had a full T1 at the HQ and 256K or 512K at the
remote offices.  I was concerned that VPNs over DSL and cable modems
woudn't be fast enough but I couldn't have been more wrong.

Using FreeSWAN turned out to be much better and just as reliable as the
frame network and VoIP worked perfect over the VPN.

You will probably have to put your remote offices on separate subnets.
You can run DHCP on the local Openswan box in each office.

At the time I configured FreeSWAN, I used dual P3 1GHz machines to
prevent any encryption/compression bottlenecks.  These machines were
probably overkill but there was very little latency at the VPN box.

-Jeff