[Openswan Users] can't get connected :-(

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Jun 20 16:20:58 CEST 2006

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

>         left=%defaultroute
>         leftsubnet=192.168.254.102/32
>         right=1.2.3.4
>         rightsubnet=10.0.0.0/8
>         auto=start
>         authby=secret
>         leftid=addy at asid.com
>         aggrmode=yes
>         ike=aes-256

try using:

	ike=aes
	esp=aes

or if that fails:

	ike=aes-md5

> Jun 20 01:54:24 dellgw ipsec__plutorun: 000 "myfailedconn" #1:
> Jun 20 01:54:24 dellgw ipsec__plutorun: ...could not start conn "myfailedconn"
> Jun 20 01:54:24 dellgw ipsec__plutorun: !pluto failure!:  exited with error status 134 (signal 6)
> Jun 20 01:54:24 dellgw ipsec__plutorun: restarting IPsec after pause...

You are crashing openswan, which is always our fault, and a problem that
needs fixing. unless you are running an old version. You didn't show us which
version it was, so I'm hoping that is the case here.

> BTW, the ike= parameter in ipsec.conf is not documented in the manpage,
> I had to guess about it after getting an earlier error message.

The documentation is being updated, sorry about the confusion.