[Openswan Users] Tunnel up but not traffic passing through

Fabio Corazza fabio at newbay.com
Wed Jun 14 17:14:51 CEST 2006

Hi there,
 I have problems for a tunnel that can be established correctly but I
can't get any traffic passing through.

OpenSwan 2.4.5 with NETKEY (2.6.16.20) is connecting to a remote
Netscreen 5xt. No NAT, just p-t-p tunnel connection.

The tunnel, as said above, is established correctly and all the phases
seems to go fine:

"customer" #2: STATE_QUICK_I2: sent QI2, IPsec SA established
{ESP=>0xbbdfd7fd <0xec953f05 xfrm=3DES_0-HMAC_MD5 NATD=none DPD=none}

In the Netscreen logs we get this error:

NewBay-VPNC[198.xx.xx.xx] received an unencrypted packet from
213.79.xx.xx when encrypt required!

The crazy thing is that sometimes it worked, other times it didn't (99%).

Iptables is OK, the rules are the same for other VPN connection that
actually work, so I think that is an issue related just with the Netscreen.

This is the conf:

conn customer
        left="213.79.xx.xx"
        esp="3des-md5"