[Openswan Users] Re: MTU problems

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Mon Jun 12 16:19:48 CEST 2006

Hi there,

This only became a problem when I went to Openswan from Freeswan,
previously when using freeswan on RedHat 9 the problem never arose, the
only change was to Centos 4.3 and Openswan.

In fact, I know its now any of the ADSL or SDSL routers in the path
between the sites, because if I do a simple port forward on 3389 to one
of the internal servers (for terminal services) I can connect reliably
and ok across the net - yet if I go through the tunnel without MTU'ing
all machines for terminal services it is unreliable and disconnects
frequently.  Going through a RedHat 9 VPN usng freeswan and its ok...

Also one added point : all the Linux machines are running 64bit Centos.
It works fine with 1492 MTUs but its a PITA...

If you hve any other ideas I would be glad to hear them, thanks very
much for responding and helping, I was beginning to feel a bit "out in
the cold".

I set dozens of freeswan VPNs up using REdHat 9 and Centos 3, but this
is one of the first NetKey ones I have done and the first with Openswan
at both ends.

I am using a 2.6.9-34.0.1.EL kernel

P.