[Openswan Users] Am I thinking on the right lines here?

John John at DMJ-Consultancy.co.uk
Mon Jul 24 20:05:05 CEST 2006

I'm a little confused and hope the you will be able to allay my concerns.

Workstation ---- SubNet 1 ------ Server =========== DSL router ------
SubNet 2 ----- laptop

I have, at last, succeeded in getting a VPN (shown as ===== above)
between the two halves of my network. However, when I tried to open an
SSH terminal across this link (from laptop to server), I was surprised
to have to open the relevant port in the host's firewall.

Is this normal as I thought that the VPN would tunnel traffic through
the firewall?

Also, should my laptop be able to recognise the server as a DNS server?

Many thanks, in advance,

John