[Openswan Users] ipsec restart slow with many certs

Andy Gay andy at andynet.net
Sat Jul 22 14:16:42 CEST 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 22:37 -0400, ted leslie wrote:
> thanks, very good stuff to know!!
> we have a situation where we have a very very part time work force,
> and we might have 10K certs but only 300 simo connections,
>
> i wonder if the new iron, i.e. quad cores, etc will help,
> i doubt the slowness is anything disk related,

Actually, it can be. Lots of stuff gets syslogged during startup. Make
sure you don't have plutodebug set to anything. Especially not
plutodebug=all, which lots of people who post here seem to do.

It's worth disabling local logging and sending your syslogs to a
dedicated logging server.

> but with the stuff you mentioned it looks like restarting IS very infrequently needed,
>

> just out of curiostiy, how does a typical cisco/netscreen/checkpoint handle this? (i wonder)
> any better? same? worse. Since they are licensed per user often,
> say a netscreen 200 user license, i am guessing that limits that platform to 200 certs?

I guess. No idea really. Fortunately I don't have to deal with such
stuff :)

> thanks again, you made my day!!

HTH