[Openswan Users] disconnect and routing table

Chris Haumesser chris at osafoundation.org
Wed Jul 12 19:11:26 CEST 2006

I'm running openswan-2.4.5 with a 2.6.12.1 kernel.  Things have
definitely improved for me since downgrading to 2.6.12.

However, now I have a new problem.  Running l2tp for Windows/Mac
roadwarriors.  If the connection sits idle for a certain period of time,
l2tp disconnects, and the ipsec connection subsequently goes down.

However, even after ipsec and l2tp have dropped the connection, there
remains a static route in the routing table for the client's ip address
to ipsec0.

This makes it impossible for the same client to reconnect.  On
subsequent connection attempts, reply packets are routed to the ipsec0
interface, when they need to be going out the default gateway.

I have to restart openswan or manually clear the routing table to
resolve this issue.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is there something I can do?

-C-