[Openswan Users] Latency with Openswan?

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Jul 7 19:03:14 CEST 2006

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> Does anyone know if and how much latency is added to a connection if the
> connection is done through an OpenSwan tunnel with a pre-shared or RSA
> key? ?

I am not sure if I understand the question entirely. Are you talking about
the latency of IPsec in general, or the difference between PSK and RSA?

It all depends on the hardware. IKE is not causing much latency at all,
because it happens once per hour. And if you wish to get a better
throughput for ESP, then adding CPU power or hardware accelerators will
help you.